Saturday Destinations

Once I get the hang of all this, I should be able to post on a regular basics.
For our destination for this week is to explore a portion of Costa Rica. I wanted to go back in time for this first one because it is a country that I have already been to making it easier to talk about.

In the summer of 2013, I visited Costa Rica through the International Student Volunteer program. Depending on what country you wanted to go to, you were able to select a volunteer program that you wanted to do. I was placed on the Rainforest project doing conservation work studying Nutmeg Tree seed distribution in the province of Puntarenas. During the 2 weeks on that project, we hiked for miles to different sample sites counting seeds, replanting trees along ranchers fences and sampling fish that are known to consume the Nutmeg seeds. Our location where we stayed was an hour away from the closest town and our host family only recently got electricity a few years prier. After our time there, we all had to reenter sociality being surrounded by many people and vehicles. You could smell how polluted it all was and it made us all a little sick to our stomachs to realize what humans are capable of. I can't preach too much about it because I also contribute to it.

Being in the province of Puntarenas, I was able to see all kinds of different animals from different species of monkey to insects to birds. After those 2 weeks of volunteer work, all of the groups got back together to travel to the rest of the 6 provinces in Costa Rica. Everywhere we went changed in landscape from farm fields to mountains with volcanos to swimming in the Caribbean Ocean and Pacific Ocean. But wherever we went, the people of Costa Rica held true to them wanting to protect their resources and to keep tourism away from building large resorts to smalls hotels or cabins of the sort. This is one of the reasons why I would go back is just to experience their culture all around me instead of being secluded from it behind resort walls.

I would highly recommend visiting the country of Costa Rica because of their beautiful culture and land. Feel free to ask me any questions about my time there since it would consist of me writing a book on it here. That would be too much to read and would take a lot of time to write.


Comments