Sunday Cookings

Sundays are really my only day that I can make a more difficult and time consuming meal for my boyfriend and myself. I normally try to mix it up by using foods that I know little about. Tonight though, I just made Swedish Meatballs because my boyfriend has been asking for them all week.

Growing up on a family ranch taught me how to cook from some of the best cooks around: my mother and grandmother. When Goose and I were little we would alter lunch between our mother's and Gaury's (aka Grandmother) house. Everyone would all come over at noon once one of us rang the large cow bell and lunch was basically like dinner because there was always a ton of food. Goose never liked eating everything on her plate so she would have to sit there and eat it all, even after it was cold. Those were always very tense moments because she would not listen to Gaga (aka Grandpa) raising his voice telling her she has to finish. We can laugh about it now with everyone and we don't have the large lunches anymore because we realized that it really is not good to gorge all the time.
For the Swedish Meatballs, I remember my mother using a spice mix by McCormick and making mashed potatoes. They were the greatest and now I have chosen to follow suite. All you need is 1 lbs. of ground red meat, I use game meat because we hunt to feed ourselves. Living on the ranch we would use ground beef from the cow that had been harvested. 

So 1 lbs. ground meat, 1 McCormick Swedish Meatball spice packets, 1 cup water, and 2 cups milk. Then you just follow the instructions on the back of the spice packet. I like cooking the Meatballs in the oven because it is easier to make sure that the meat gets cooked all the way through. Once it is cooked in 12-15 minutes, you can use the sauce that it cooked in to put onto your mashed potatoes.

Comments