Throwback Thursday

Throwback Thursday


Today, we are going back to January 2012. That was the last year that I was able to go to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to go to Cabo every year with my family since my sister and I were in middle school. We would get our hair braided the day after we flow in so we did not have to worry about it when we went swimming in the ocean or pool then off downtown to do some shopping or go out to eat for dinner. 

I remember 2012 in particular because that was my first time ever scuba diving. I have always wanted to try it and almost had the opportunity in college because the University of Montana offered a certified diving class. My dad, Wolfman, and I started off our adventure by practicing with the oxygen tank in one of the resorts swimming pools. One of the weird things, was having to remind myself to continually pop your ears every time you went down deeper. If felt really weird and I was worried that I was not going to even make it down 15 feet once I got into the ocean the next day. 

That next day, Wolfman and I went down to the marine to get our gear and meet our instructor who was taking us out for the day. Once we were all suited up, we were told that Seahorses have been spotted in the area and to keep our eyes open for them. Seahorses, being one of my favorite fishes, I could not wait to get in the water. We had two different dive spots that we were going to try that morning, one a little before Lovers Beach and one at the point past the famous arches. Dad and I got into the water and worked through our steps on descending down 15 feet to the sandy bottom. Wolfman was having a little trouble holding the underwater camera and practicing to receive his mask if it were ever to fall out of his mouth. So once I took it away from him, we were ready to rock. I don't know if much of you have ever even put your heads under water but your depth perception gets completely thrown off. It all has to do with how light hits the water on the surface and bends. As we moved along it always seemed like something was close when it was actually farther away. 

It truly was beautiful under there and seeing all of the different species was incredible. I was nervous once and a while because I wanted to grab onto some coral when I felt off but did not know if I would end up grabbing something poisonous. We did not see any Seahorses down there, but the other professional divers were able to find them and take pictures of them. Later when we did see the pictures, they were so small that I don't even think I could have seen them. I have read some books where people look for them their entire lives and only stumble upon them once in a while. 


We boated out to our second spot and Wolfman did not want to get in again so it was myself and another professional who went down. We kneeled down on the sandy bottom maybe 20 feet down and watched the Sea Lions swim in and out of the water onto a rock formation. Then we proceeded to head to a rock point out a ways and circled around it like tens times. She pointed out different species to my by making hand signals that I was somehow able to understand. The really cool species that we saw was an octopus hidden between some rocks. I would have not seen him if she had not pointed it out. Octopus are another favorite of mine and dream to get one tattooed on my back someday. 
When we made it back to the surface, my diving partner asked me how far down do you think we were. I honestly had no idea but I guess it was 45 feet which is not the depth you are suppose to go unless you are certified. It was pretty incredible knowing that and knowing that she trusted me to inform her if I was having any problems. 

The next time that I get a chance to go back to the ocean where there is good scuba diving, I am going even if no one else in my group wants to. I love the ocean very much and would love to work with coral reef systems. That has always been my dream, so I am forever grateful to my parents for providing me with the opportunity to dive that day. 

Comments