Little Bit of Knowledge on My New Job

This summer I have been granted to the opportunity to work for The Great Basin Institute and BLM as an Aquatic Monitoring Technician for the AIM projects. I had known about the jobs related to these projects from my past encounters with other technicians and biologists. But the one thing that I did not realize was that there is two parts to it: the terrestrial and aquatic. I had been in contact with one of my friends, Storie, and he said that they just posted the jobs back in February/March. Once I was able to find the job application, all I saw was the terrestrial technician position and there was nothing in the job description in which I have done. I don't know how to identify plants or soils but I sure the heck know how to drive vehicles, pull trailers, and can work outdoors.

When I got the job interview back in the early parts of March, I was pretty sure I was not going to get the job because all my answers were, "no I do not but I am pretty sure that I can learn how to." The guy told me I would know if I made it to the next interview the following week. During this time, I was also apply for other jobs around Rock Springs/Green River because I know that I was not going to be able to have the mental capacity to sell anymore vehicles. I saw that Cummins was hiring a Parts Delivery Driver with a job description describing everything that I did when I was working for Cummins down in Oklahoma City. So I applied online and then went into the office, which is right next to Whisler, and talked to the Parts Manager.

That following week, I received a phone call for the technician job. Jerry Keir, executive director for GBI, was looking over my resume and was confused why I applied for the terrestrial tech position instead of the aquatic one. So from looking it over he hired me onto his aquatic crew! Jerry pretty much said that it only makes since and I could have not agreed more. I told him that I could not give him a definite yes yet until I talked to my boyfriend. In reality, I was waiting to hear back from Cummins. I called them every week like my sister instructed and FINALLY was able to get an in person interview. During the interview, I was questioned by four different managers and it felt like it went really well. After a couple days later towards the end March, I found out that I did not get the Cummins job and that I came second in line. Super lame! It would have been a full-time job with benefits. But there is really good things to come from this technician job.

You might be wondering what this new job is, well here we go. I am to assist in GBI and BLM for their AIM (Assessment, Inventory, Monitoring) of lotic ecosystems. My duties include being able to navigate around the wilderness while sampling about 30-35 different sites in the Kemmerer, Pinedale, and Rock Springs regions. I will be working with one biologist and one technican to establish sampling plots and transects, identify and describe soil horizons, collect vegetation data (inventory species, forb frequency, sagebrush shape, foliar cover, canopy gap, herbaceouse and woody heights), and water samples to just name a few. On May 15th, I will be going to a week long training in Logan, UT and then down to Moab, UT for a second week of training on May 22nd.

I start May 8th with our main office being located in Kemmerer, WY which is where I will be checking in and out of until the end of September, which is when my contract ends. I get full benefits with this job and hourly pay along with per diem and a housing stipend. I am not sure if we will be working 8 days on and 6 days off yet but I will be camping outside from the start of my contract until the end of September. Hints why I got a new tent and sleeping pad and a sweet new handheld GPS Map 64s! I have been trying to get more warmer clothes that are going to be good out in the woods and for some odd reason everyone is done selling long johns around here so I had to order some.
This link below will lead to a more detailed outlook of what I will be doing all summer but I am excited to be getting back out into the field and into something that will go farther then were I was getting with Game and Fish. Expect some incredible pictures and keep looking for my blog posts.

Comments