Fly Tying and Shed Hunting

Cinco de Mayo was our first beautiful day in a while! It got up to 80 degrees out with hardly any wind. I went on a long walk and wore shorts so my very white legs could actually see some sun. And believe it or not but I was warm for once.

That evening, the local Trout Unlimited group that I am on the board with, Seedskadee TU, hosted an Iron Fly at the Fish Bowl in Green River. On Tuesday of that week, I got together with a few other members and helped put together four different promo videos. I have not laughed so hard in a long time. We tried speaking Spanish and talked about Mexican food and tried to explain to people what the heck an Iron Fly was. All in all an Iron Fly is a fly tying event where you are given random supplies to make a fly based on a category.

We had a one handed wiggly worm (which I won), chick fly, one handed partner fly, Wyoming fly, and the Iron Fly. It was pretty incredible to watch what other people came up with and we had a lot of women there that have never tyed a fly in their life and one of them won the Iron Fly trophy!

Once the event itself was over, my boyfriend and I stayed and had a blast visiting, dancing, and signing karaoke until they shut it down at midnight. I ended up making new friends that like to have fun like I do so I am really excited to hang out with them in the future. One of the guys that I have had meetings with for another organization told me he never realized how much fun I am to hangout with because he thought that I was always serious. LOL
Early Sunday morning, my boyfriend and I went out to look for antler sheds north of Rock Springs. We drove by one of the Sage Grouse leks so I was able to take some videos/pictures of the males strutting their stuff.

If you listen really close to the video below, the whistling sound is the sound from their chest. I love the sound of their chest rising and falling with the bloop bloop. And when they do it, they end up taking a little running start and then stop followed right away with the chest movement.
This picture below cracks me up! He looks like he has no head and a really large chest. 

Our hike was about four miles up over and back down the mountain. We were both unsuccessful at finding any sheds and ended up finding a lot of human tracks. So it seems that that area was scouted out already. I did collect six beautifully colored pinecones! It felt really good to get out and hike again. Makes me realize how out of shape I am in that area and I how soft my heels have become. My feet are always the thing that kills me when it comes to hiking because they are ether cold or hot where they are sweating to figure out what to do. Once we made it back to the truck, come to realize that I had six ticks crawling around under my jacket. Glad that they had not decided to dig in yet. Then we went and got ice cream in Farson where they serve you an outrageous amount! But I have been saying for the past two years that someday I would stop and get ice cream from there and I finally did! Now I can check that off the list.



Comments