Meal Prep: Mason Jar Recipes

Food is always complicated for me so I always plan out what I am going to eat on a daily basis because I have an idea of how much energy I will use. But thinking about it for more then two days ahead gets a little complicated and since this meal prep was for working in a new area/different job, I decided to try mason jar meals. I had an idea that it was not going to involve much energy because our two weeks of training were going to consist of standing around outside learning a new protocol along with not going to the gym.
After doing some research on Pinterest by just searching for mason jar meals, I pretty much had my grocery list put together. First of all, I did not have large enough mason jars for my lunch and dinners so I went and bought a case from Walmart and I had enough small ones to use for breakfast. Then I went to Smith's Grocery to get everything else on my list.

Groceries

  • Breakfest
    • Muesli
    • Raspberries
    • Yogurt 
  • Lunch
    • Lettuce mixture
    • Bell peppers
    • Avocados
    • Cucumbers
    • Carrots
    • Cherry tomatoes
    • Dressing

  • Dinner
    • Zucchini squash noodles
    • OR Brussel sprouts
    • Bell peppers
    • Cucumbers
    • Avocados
    • Cherry tomatoes
    • Canned corn
    • Black/Pinto beans
  • Other items
    • Bananas
    • Apples
    • Goldfish S'mores 
    • M & M's
    • Trail mix
    • Canned chicken
    • Tuna packets
    • Hard boiled eggs
    • Cheese sticks
    • Ice
    • Cherries
    • Hot tea packets
    • Olive oil
    • All-purpose seasoning
How I have all of my ingredients listed about is how I filled the jars. So starting at the bottom of a meal was what went on the bottom of the mason jar, working bottom up. The only things that I did not add into the mason jars until they were being consumed was the salad dressing and Muesli. It made me nervous if the dressing was going to age the food faster and if the Muesli was going to soak up the yogurt and taste disgusting. When it came time to pack the cooler, I just put all the mason jars in it, covered everything with ice, and placed the eggs and chocolate on top. The dry items went into a storage container with my camping gear. 
Every jar that I opened tasted fresh and the salad never got soggy! Defiantly will be using this method again in the future. The only thing that made me a little nervous was when all of the ice melted and the water became a little warm. I only had that happen the last full day at the end of every week. 

Comments