Wilderness First Aid training.

For my job this summer, we all had to attend a first aid training course. This one was a 16 hour course passed on how to handle aiding someone found in the wilderness. It was put on by Desert Mountain Medicine and started off with us going over how to access the situation, work through the primary assessment, and then onto secondary assessment. Primary involved making sure the individual was okay by examining the body started from the airway down to the legs. If someone was wrong with pulse you stopped to solve that problem first before attending to anything else. The most important things to access first is airway, pulse, and then feel for anything out of the norm. Once primary was done you moved onto finding out information about the victim. Secondary assessment is the nicest one to get to because you have made sure that everything is okay or fixed the problem until help arrives.
We took this course down in Moab, UT at the university on the 20th and 21st of May. The class lasted from 8 am to 5 pm both days and during the last hour was a "final". My final that I was involved in was coming upon a mountain biker that had a terrible crash. My group found that he had some broken ribs that were causing his lung to push out of his ribcage every time he breathed. In real live this would look horrifying like something from a scary movie. We were able to secure his ribs and called for help as we took vital signs the whole time. This course really brought things to live for me since we did a lot of things hands on and now I know I will be able to help someone in a wilderness situation. This course is $200 and your certification is good for two years.

After training that Saturday, I went and bought my food for the next week and started to prep all of my meals again just like last time. Kee and Kate went to look at the Arches so I went to dinner with the same people as before at a please called Miguel's Grill. The environment was good and I ordered the Chile Relleno which needed a little more seasoning but otherwise it was good. On Sunday evening, I went off on my own to eat some sushi at Sabaku Sushi. It was great! I had the Half and Half Salad (seaweed and smoked squid), two pieces of Tako Nigiri, and a roll called Fiery Furnace (Spicy tuna, avocado, and cucumber, rolled in crunchies, topped with sriracha, eel sauce). After I finished dinner there, I hauled butt to the Moab Brewery to get some stickers and a t-shirt and then back to the motel. I was really craving frozen yogurt so Kee and I went and had some at a place right next to our motel called Yeti's Frozen Blast. That evening we had to pack everything to be ready to head out early to head to Canyonlands for our second week of training. It was great being in Moab because it was so warm and I love small tourist towns. Always a lot of things to look at.

Comments