A Retirement Party and some Trout Fishing

Mike and I were invited to go to Dave's retirement party the last weekend in June. Dave was a Game Warden for Rock Springs with Wyoming Game and Fish Department for the past 20 years. He has worked many jobs with them since 1979 starting off running hunt check stations like I did for the past two years.
I meet Dave two years ago when I was working as a Chronic Wasting Disease Technician for WGFD. I was given the opportunity to help capture Mule Deer and Elk for the D.E.E.R. project and hitched a ride with Dave for that week. It was a very cold week in November with a lot of snow and blowing wind causing the helicopter to be grounded most of the time. We were able to capture everything that we needed by the end. It was pretty much just Dave and I with the D.E.E.R. crew the last few days because no one wanted to go out into the freezing weather. Throughout the week, I can to know Dave more and was able to learn many things from him while even teaching him new things. At the end of my season, Dave sent out an email saying that Game and Fish needs to keep me around asking them if there was any job out there that I could do. It meant a lot to know that someone like Dave would say something about me to everyone. I respect him every time I think back onto it. The next season there was no question who I rode with because it was going to be Dave.
At his retirement party, I stood up and spoke good words about him and respect what he has done for the department for so many years. It was a very good party and we all got to hear Dave speak in front of us all because he claims that he is a quiet person which is true. Dave is now living in Nebraska and love the fact that we have Facebook to keep in touch. Cheers Dave!!
On Sunday, Mike and I went out to Trout Creek, where we first meet, to catch some Snakeriver Cutthroat Trout. We both are working on trying to complete our Cutt Slam to say that we have caught all of them in their native drainage. There is four different cutthroat species: Snakeriver, Yellowstone, Bonneville, and Colorado within the state of Wyoming.
I was able to catch two that day on dry flies which was my first time using them. Just casted onto a beaver dam and made the fly move like it was trying to move across the surface of the water.
Mike was able to catch a HUGE one!! We will see how far be get with our Cutt Slam since I only have one down and three more to go.

Comments