June 12-16

This week, Kee and I were sampling in Kemmerer, WY. Monday started off really cold with threats of rain and strong winds projected to last until Wednesday. There is a new range technician from New Orleans came out into the field with us to sample Roney Creek. It was his first time to Wyoming and first time being out West. He did not have any waders so I had him help with macro invertebrates and slope. By the time lunch came around the weather was starting to get windy and rain was starting to roll over the mountains in the distance. Alex showed up to help us out right as the rain got there and I tried to get through PHAB but ended up getting water down my sleeves. The water temperature was getting colder as the air temperature dropped to 35 degrees. I also was making my way through a beaver dam which terrify me which is why I got water down my sleeves because I was trying to climb out and ended up slipping. We were able to get 4.5 transects done by the time it started to snow causing us to head back to town. 
Tuesday, it was still just as cold out with the wind/snow/rain leaving us no choice but to work in the office. I worked on my maps and gaining access back on my BLM card. The computer kept telling me that my credentials were not verified and our main computer said there was nothing wrong with it and I was still able to get into the building. I was able to receive 10 days of access finally. Kee and I tried going back out after lunch to finish up Roney so we took the range tech with us. Ended up turning around once we got there because it was snowing and the roads were getting bad. Our iPad also started to act weird leaving us no choice but to update it with the new software that was just released. The only problem with that was our data from the day before disappear but we were told its okay to just start were we left off. Kee left later that afternoon to head to a Blues Festival in Telluride, CO for the rest of the week leaving me with our advisor to help me. 
It was a much nicer day on Wednesday. The skies were clear and the temperature was good. Alex, myself, and the Wildlife Biologist from the KFO went with us to sample another creek, West Willow Creek. Once we made it there and had all the gear packed down, we found out that the water level was at floodplain so there was no way that we were able to do it then. Alex and I went and finished up Roney Creek. When we finished around 2 pm, one of the local cowboy came up to us and asked us what we were doing. He told us that he now checks on anyone he comes across since last fall a man was found shot in one of the cabins up the road. He thinks it was a drug deal gone wrong but crazy to think about the kind of stuff happing here. Alex and I then drove to our next site to see how the water levels looked there to see if it was even worth the hassle in the morning. This one was on the opposite side of the mountain from the other two. When we made it to Fenn Creek, we tried setting up our flags and just could not do it because the creek was COVERED with dead/live branches from the willows that it was impossible to move through. Alex decided that we just work it transect to transect, setting it up and entering in all the information at once in the morning. 
I had to get over my fear of spiders and creepy crawly things for Fenn Creek and had to deal with being stabbed by branches. Haha It sure was entertaining and Alex and I just wanted to call it quiets the entire time. We split up crawling through it and were finally able to get from one end to the other. By the end of the day, Alex had messed up the iPad a few times and the list just keep growing from the small things that needed to be completed before we left. This area also had heavy influence from cattle in the past and present. It was pretty exciting that we were able to get back to the office by 6 pm and I was off on my way home for the weekend. 
Friday, I spent my morning cleaning the house before I headed to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department Office to pick up some rhubarb from Wes. I was able to talk to Zornes, my old wildlife supervisor about his recent wedding and their honeymoon planned for September to go to North Carolina. He was watching fly fishing videos from over there to get ideas on what gear to bring and to day dream until the time comes. After I left there I went to purchase my Wyoming license plates...not fun! The lady only gave me plates until the end of August and put my father's name on the registration even though my Montana one had both of ours. I was not a happy camper when I left there. I then went to see my past coworkers at Whisler's allowing me to leave in a much happier mood. Overall, the week was pretty rough week and the weekend does not look like the weather is going to be any better, wind!
 

Comments