4th of July and Iron Horse Rodeo

For the 4th of July weekend, Mike and I went to New Mexico to see his family. It is always a long drive give or take about 9 hours and this time we stopped to have lunch in Ouray, CO at the brewery. I love going there because the bar has adult sized swings there that you can sit on. I always end up getting the same thing, the grilled avocado and shrimp salad because who does not like those combinations together!
I also love driving over the Red Mountain Pass because of how beautiful it is. It reminds me of home from all of the pine trees and rocky cliffs. Mike does not like driving it and he won't let me because the road for a few miles has a straight drop off where vehicles have gone over. I would say never take it in the winter time. Once we made it to Durango, CO we decided to randomly stop and try out a brewery that we have never been to before, Durango Brewing Company, and the beer was not that bad. We then continued on to go see his sister's family to see the kids out at the fishing lodge. It's right along the San Juan River and is in a beautiful stop. Mike's brother-in-law is a fishing guide there and is now the co-owners to the Soaring Eagle Lodge.
Over the next few days, Mike and I did some shopping for hunting gear and stuff to take his drift boat back home with us along with taking his dog. I was able to purchase new hiking boots and arrows for my bow so all I need now is broadheads, binoculars, and rain gear. I can't believe that I am getting closer to my first hunt.
On the second of July, all of us went to Mike's parents cabin outside of Cuba, NM to have a bbq with a lot of his other family members that I have never meet. We were able to pick up his grandparents and take them out with us and I was happy that they seemed to remember me from last time. It was a fun afternoon getting to know everyone and should have stayed out there to finish off the night with everyone but I wanted to sleep in a bed for once. HAHA.
 
The evening of the third, all of us went out to the fishing lodge to have pizza together. It is kind of a thing that we have started doing the past few times that we have been down. Then on the fourth, we drove back home and I got ready for work in Kemmerer the rest of the week. This trip did not really seem like a vacation leaving Mike and I to feel like we need another one right away and it was also the first fourth of July that I have never shot off any fireworks! But we were able to get the drift boat back and Mike's dog back. Makes me miss my baby girl Kora.
Many of you probably remember me talking about my trip back home for the Iron Horse Rodeo which is a motorcycle rally that has been going on for 23 years now with Mike. It is always the third weekend in July. This year my best friend from college came down to celebrate with me. I left that Thursday after work to be able to have a full weekend at home and my best friend from Missoula was coming down!
Friday morning, I had to go to the post office to get my picture taken for my passport and send it off in the mail because it was getting close to expiring. The picture turned out better this time so now when I get it back it won't look like I am a criminal. It was so dark that you could not even really tell what I looked like. After walking around downtown to look at the motorcycles for a little bit in the afternoon, my friend Kea and I went to meet my parents up at the rodeo grounds to listen to Billy Waldo and the Flying Grizzlies. There was hardly anyone up there for it but I danced up a storm on the dance floor. I grow up listening to this band and my sister and I would always be the ones on the dance floor the whole time.
When we were done there, we all went downtown to do some bar hoping. The Snowcreek and Blue Ribbon Bar were the only ones having a street dance this year. We listened to them for a little while and then dad went home. So us girls went over to the Snag for a second and decided to go to the Bull and Bear instead. And of course everywhere I went there was aways someone that I know that wanted to talk. Haha. Can't go anywhere in this town without talking to like two people every block.
We finished off the night there where mom was dancing and Kea was chatting to people around her. I ended up talking to a father who had a daughter my age asking me for advise for her. I hope it was alright. Oh I had stopped drinking when we left the rodeo grounds but my mom and Kea were still on a roll.
So the next thing that happened was Kea asking me where the bathroom was followed a little while later a text saying "Can we go home? I partied to hard." And then with the greatest one of all, "I'm afraid to leave the bathroom and knock on heavens front door." Haha I think knocking on heavens door was playing in the background. So I had mom stay in the bathroom with Kea while I went to get the car. I was able to get them up to camp to drop mom off while Kea was still getting sick in the hayfield. Then I get her in the car and just a minute later she told me she was going to be sick again so I stopped the vehicle really fast and Kea rolled out of the car down into the irrigation ditch. LOL Now she is soaking wet and we both can't stop laughing! And all I wanted to do was go to be like three hours ago and it was not one in the morning. Finally get Kea in the car and speed home to get her up to the bathroom. Found out that she had lost her cellphone so I went back up to camp to look for it. I then almost fall into the ditch myself but I finally found it by camp, thank god! What a night...
On Saturday, Kea was so hung over that it took her until like six that evening to get back to normal. Haha have to love it. That afternoon, I wanted to go to Red Lodge Ales to have some brewery beer and was able to have their summer beer. Then we went over to a family friends house in town to have prime rib dinner.
Both Kea and I had decided not to drink that night. My parents and both of us then walked around town and stopped into the Pollard Pub to listen the Billy Waldo and The Twins play before going to the street dance. Kea and I ended up going to the Snag for our last adventure for the evening where I then run into people from Green River, WY! God it is a small world. So we hung out with them until I just did not want to be awake any longer.
On Sunday, there is the motorcycle rodeo but I needed to get home and get ready for work for the week. So mom and dad cooked breakfast up at camp and then we parted our separate ways. It truly was a great weekend and am super happy to have a friend like Kea.

Comments